DoD Personnel Locator
Home Air Bases Units Tail Codes Links Dictionary
GovSearch C-17 Fact Sheets Feedback FAQ Books
Locator Career Personnel Records
Open a Navigation FrameHow to Use GLOBEMASTER
FAQ>> Personnel Locator > All Personnel | USAF| ANG | USN | USMC | Army

All Personnel

USSearch.Com People Locator
First Name
Last Name
US Search.Com People Locator

Information for active Servicemen and Women, Veterans, Reservists,
Friends and Families of the US Military:

US Department of Defense (DoD)

General Information for all Locator Services/Requests for Military Mailing Adresses:

Emergency Purposes:
If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, please call your local Red Cross chapter. Use operator assistance if necessary, or you may also find your local Red Cross chapter telephone number by visiting
(clicking on "Your local Red Cross" and entering your zip code)

Addresses for military personnel abroad may be obtained from the Military Postal Service Agency:
an extension of the United States Postal Service, which provides Department of Defense personnel, their family members, and other authorized users mail services around the world.

US Air Force (USAF)

The US Air Force can locate active duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists and guardsmen. This information is not available for those who have separated from the US Air Force or are US Army Air Corps retirees. Information on individuals stationed overseas or in a sensitive position will not be released. However, the locator service will forward mail to that person for up to 90 days, as long as the correct postage is on the envelope and any required fee has been paid. Parents, spouses, and government officials may call 1-210-652-5774 for a recorded message or 1-210-652-5775 for non-recorded service.

For locator service write to:

550 C Street, West, Suite 50
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752

Commercial: (210) 565-2660
Military Installation to Military Installation (DSN): 665-2660
Operating hours: Monday- Friday
7:30 am - 4:30 pm (Central Standard Time)

US Air Force Worldwide Locator:

The US Air Force Worldwide Locator handles requests locating US Air Force personnel (military and civilian) from the general public, families, and official requests from US Department of Defense (DoD) or US Air Force Officials.
Please note: There is no central email directory for Air Force people.

US Search.Com People Locator

Locate Air Force personnel from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

The US Air Force Historical Research Agency has a web site with a page devoted to tips on locating military personnel. The site presents many options so be sure to scroll down to find the best one for your circumstance.

Air National Guard (ANG)

Air National Guard Units (by State)

National Guard Bureau

US Search.Com People Locator

US Navy

The US Navy's locator service helps locate individuals on active duty and those whose service ended less than a year ago. In addition, the US Navy will forward letters as long as the correct postage is affixed to the envelope. You can call the locator service at 1-901-874-3388. Unless you are active military, local or federal government, or a family member, the fee for researching an address is US$ 3.50 per address. Fees are retained in cases resulting in an unsuccessful search or for unreleasable addresses. Mail your correspondence with your fee, check or money order payable to United States Treasurer, to the following address:

World Wide Locator
Bureau of Naval Personnel
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3120

There is also some related information in the "US Navy Frequently Asked Questions" section on:

Related Links

Bureau of Naval Personnel

US Search.Com People Locator

US Marine Corps

The Marine Corps can provide the duty station for active duty personnel and reservists. For retired individuals, the locator service can provide the city and state, but not an address. The service will provide the service member's current rank and unit address; however, due to the locator's staffing, the office cannot forward mail except in special cases.  Telephonic requests to 1-703-640-3942/43 are free of charge to immediate family members and government officials calling on official business. In addition, telephonic service will be provided at no cost to any individual, business or organization, if the Marine locator decides the information would benefit the individual. 

Send written locator requests to:

Commandant of the Marine Corps
Headquarters, USMC
Code MMSB-10
Quantico, VA  22134-5030


To locate active duty Marines, contact the Marine Corps World Wide Locator at Quantico, Va.

QUANTICO, VA 22134-5030

Tel.: 703-784-3942

Their hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For Marines with common lastnames, a Social Security Number may be required.
Additionally, base locators are available at all major USMC commands.

Information Page

US Search.Com People Locator


The Marine Corps has no way to assist individuals looking for former Marines. However, Leatherneck magazine runs a monthly feature called "Mail Call," which is one way to try and contact former Marines. It is a free service and is printed on a space available basis. Send items for this service to:

Mail Call Editor
P.O. Box 1775
Quantico, VA 22134

US Army

The Army will help you locate individuals on active duty only, not retirees.
The place to start is the US Army World Wide Locator.

The address is:
US Army Enlisted Records & Evaluation Center
Attn: Locator
8899 East 56th Street
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46249-5301


The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits releasing the last known address of former Army members without their written consent. However, the agency identified below will assist your search by forwarding your letter to the service member's last known address.

To pursue locating a former Army soldier:
- Write a letter to the soldier. Place this letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, including your full name and return address.

- Write a letter addressed to the National Personnel Records Center requesting their assistance with your search. Be sure to include the service member's name, serial number and/or social security number, and date of birth if available.

- Place your envelope addressed to the service member AND the letter to the National Personnel Records Center in ONE envelope. Address this envelope to:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200.

Please note current addresses for discharged service members are not maintained at the records center - this center only has the service member's last officially recorded address. Letters to service members the record center can not identify or who are known to be deceased will be returned to you.

Related Links

US Army Enlisted Records and Evaluation Center (EREC):

US Army World Wide Locator (AKO accounts only!):

US Search.Com People Locator